Tuesday 22 February 2011

Doesn't evert story need an ending ?

As you may have noticed probaly from my other blog i'm into comics. So now my cheap self promotion tricks over with let's move on.

One of (currently, changes more often the weather) is Spider-man. Spider-man stories have been going on for about since the distant year of 1963, and Spider-man doesn't look a day over what the editors say is about 30 years old. Over those years of webbing and the ocassional awesome costume change (refer to below)
Armored Spider-Man

As you can see your average Spider-man fan goes mental everytime your average web slinger get's a costume change. So as well as now other the years some things get better with time like the advancement of technology and some things get worse like TV shows. Spdier-man stories tend to have a simple hit and miss formula, each time a writer tries to do something mold breaking with the character it's poorly recieved, like when (I know it sounds like i'm making this up, but I paid for it and this is how the story goes) Peter Parker never gets married to Mary Jane confusing about a decades worth of stories.

This got me thinking, do some stories just need an ending ? Spider-mans history is a list of failures and sucessess with trying to keep it's readership with modernisations of the character and does lead to the questions, should Spider-man be retired ?

Wiriting that paragraph has upset my inner geek. I own over a hundred Spider-man comics and it was the first comic I began to collect seriously so I do have a little bit of a bond with the character. Though the sensible part of my brain tells me Spidey can't be this good for ever and it's not worth spending a fortune on stories which will dip in quality and will vaguely deal with a contunity which has expanded into it's own pocket universe.

Though it doesn't matter what i'll say the writers still have a love for him, the Marvel marketing department still see's him as a cash cow. I just think theirs a better way to keep a great story going but letting end in a way before we all beg for the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment